Paddy Rohan (Mikey’s grandad) came to Newmarket N.S. on 06/09/2017. He told us about what school was like when he was young. He started school in1949. His first headmaster was Mr. O’ Sullivan . Sometimes he would come to school by pony with his brother Noel. Before he came to school he would milk the cows and then bring the milk to the creamery .And sometimes he would milk Mr. Twomey’s cows too. When his younger brother ,Seamus, started school they had to get a pony and trap . In school they had no electricity or heating so they used tilly lamps for light and a fire for heat. Everyone had to bring in a block of wood the fire and whoever brought in the in the most wood each week would get no homework for the weekend. Each day they would drop the pony and trap into Mrs. Nolan,who lived beside the school . The toilet in school didn’t flush and were only cleaned once a month . There was no toilet paper so you would need to bring newspaper instead . Also there was no sink only a barrel filled with rainwater. For drinking water they had to bring two buckets of water from St. Brendan’s well to the school . His talk was very interesting and it was great to hear about what our school was like in the 1950’s.
Nelly Kelly (nee Hearne) visited our school on the 24th of October. Nelly is 91 years old and is a former student of our school and of the old school in Newmarket. Our school was built in 1925 and all the students from the old school moved to the new school. She clearly remembers moving from the old school into the new school and how excited they all were. Nelly told us all about her school days in Newmarket in the 1920’s. There were 120 pupils in the school. The school only consisted of one classroom, which we’re in now, but the partition divided it in two. Mr and Mrs O’Sullivan were the teachers. At lunch time they were allowed go to the shop in the village, and if you forgot your lunch you could get a slice of bread buttered for a penny. Water had to be carried from the well down the road because there was no tap. If the children were being bold they’d get smacked with the cane. When the inspector came the cane would be hidden. The boys used to play hurling in the field across the road called the Faiche. Once a boy got a belt in the eye and had to be brought to the hospital. That finished hurling for a while. There was a 7th and 8th class because there was no secondary school. The school was very cold in the winter because there was no heating. The original slates are still on the school to this day. The toilets were outside the school. Nelly’s dad Jack Hearne worked on the Castlemorres estate and Nelly helped him sometimes. She said that she had been in every room of Castlemorres house. The house was knocked in 1979. Some children came to school on a donkey cart. In the summer Nelly used to walk home in her bare feet. Nelly said that school days were the best days of her life. She loved school and she loved Irish. We all enjoyed listening to Nelly telling us about her school days in the 1920’s. Nelly has a remarkable memory of her school days. She was able to name all the people in the picture of the pupils in the school. She also told us that we are in Paradise now compared to school in her days.
Every year we have a school hurling league which is started before Easter.
There are five teams and five captains from fifth or sixth class.
There are six people on a team, all the teams play each other first, then each team works its way up to the final. Cait’s team and Darragh’s team played in the final today and Darragh’s team won. That team will get no homework for one night. The matches are played at lunchtime. Pupils out of fifth and sixth class referee the matches. There is ten minutes a half. We also have gaelic football leagues as well.